Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Crorepati who lives in a hut! - What changed my fortune - Part 3



E Sarathbabu with his mother infront of his house


When all my friends who worked for various MNCs made good money every month and I made losses with my venture. But I kept telling myself 'I am moving in the right direction to reach my ambition and vision'. My dream was to provide employment and I was doing just that. I continued to work till 3 a.m. but I never felt tired.


Through BITS, Pilani, I got the BITS, Goa contract and that was the biggest break for me. It was not a cafeteria like the earlier ones but the dining hall that we got. We had to feed 1300 students. We started our operations in July 2007. At Rs 50, for 1300 students, our sales was Rs 65,000 per day. We soon started making a profit of Rs 10 to 15,000 a day. Around 60 to 70 people work there. I gave the charge of the Ahmedabad operations to one of my managers and moved to Goa.


I was still in debt by Rs 15-20 lakhs but I knew BITS, Goa would keep my dream alive. Within six months of starting our operations in Goa, I repaid all my debt.


I was called to give a speech at the SRM Deemed University. After the speech, I asked the Chancellor, "Can you give me an opportunity to serve in your campus?". He said, "If not you, to whom will I give such an opportunity?". It's a food court but a big one, similar to the one at BITS, Pilani. There are around 17,000 students there.


Now, I have the BITS, Hyderabad contract, ready to start in July 2008. Other than the six units, I have approached a few more universities and corporate houses too. In the first year, I had made a loss of Rs 25 lakh. Right now, we have a turnover of Rs 32 lakh every month, which works out to 3.5 crore (Rs 35 million) a year.


I have hired about 200 people. Indirectly, we touch the lives of around 1000 people. By this year end, we will have 500 people working for us. Only 10% of my workers are educated, the rest are uneducated. I want to make a change in their lives. If they have any problem, I will take care of it. We support the marriages and education of poor families. We are paying more to the employees as the company is doing well. Now that the foundation is strong, I plan to have ten units and a turnover of Rs 20 crore (Rs 200 million) turnover by next year.


Continue...




  • Part 1 : Crorepati who lives in a hut - Nothing is impossible

  • Part 2 : Sleeping on the railway platform

  • Part 4 : His advice - Never give up!



  • 1 comment:

    www.caceres-3d.com said...

    It's all erroneous the thing you are saying.